Returning to the Dojo : Re-opening Saturday July 24, 2021.
The Dojo will be re-opening Saturday July 24, 2021. Please book your classes using the Picktime App. Read below.
Dear ICKF Students and Families
What an unprecedented time this has been! I hope this letter finds you and your family well and healthy. I am excited to reach out about our plans to return to training! I also want to take this time to say a big thank you for all the kind words of support from students and their parents. It has meant a lot to me over this time.
When we first closed due to this situation I put all ICKF memberships on hold as of March 23rd and gave free lessons for approximately seven weeks on Facebook. These lessons have been viewed over 7,500 times and have been shared by karate colleagues in Dojo pages across Canada, Norway, Hungary and even Japan. As time began to move along I switched to the Zoom format which allowed me to have a more interactive experience with students. The Zoom program also helped to assist with a portion of the Dojo expenses during this challenging time. Thank you everyone for your support! I am grateful to have so many wonderful students.
I am excited now to move to this next stage and return to training on August 4th! It is of the utmost importance that our return to training be done with health and safety as the guiding principle. We will be following the guidelines as laid out by the provincial and regional government, Karate Canada (recognized by Sport Canada and Health Canada) and Ontario Karate Federation. I am looking to return to training in a professional and safe manner bringing our students the very best of the holistic, stress relieving self defence Martial art that you know and love. Pee wee students will not be returning just yet. I have a 5 year old and I know that asking a five year old child to stay in a certain training area is challenging. I have a plan for the future return of the Pee wee program, please stay tuned.
I would like to thank everyone in advance for their patience and support. Thank you for following our lessons online and thank you to those who were able to follow our Zoom program, I greatly appreciate it. Please understand that ICKF Karate School is my small business that I began 20 years ago. I appreciate your patience and understanding as we adjust to the current changes, thank you for your loyalty and commitment! We are all being asked to make a small paradigm shift for the time being so I thank you for your support and patience. ICKF is certainly a special place because of all of the great students and families! I look forward to training with you again. If you have any questions please email me at email@example.com
What does opening the dojo mean?
- All memberships are on hold until you decide to return to the dojo, once you return your membership is reinstated.
- Our first phase schedule to dojo reopening which will begin with 9 students in each class. There will be 9 designated, socially distanced training areas available per class. We have much more space to meet the minimum requirements but want to take things slow and have extra space for each student. As the situation evolves so will our schedule.
- Classes will be 40 min duration, to allow for the between class sterilization procedures between classes as well as the new entrance and exit guidelines.
- After every class Sensei will do the disinfecting procedures.
- Classes will cover kihon, kata, shadow boxing, shadow bunkai and tai sabaki. Everyone will be training at a distance, students will respect the 2m distancing and train in their designated area.
- Face masks will be mandatory, try to find one that isn’t too heavy.
What do I need to do sign up and get ready for my class?
- Students/guardian will book their class online at www.picktime.com/ickfkarate we ask that you only book one class for up to two or three days of the week as we get started.
- Students will not be allowed to participate without booking their class(es).
- Arrive at the Dojo in your gi, mask on.
- Enter through the front door and sterilize your hands.
- Answer the screening questions and sign in with Sensei.
- Bring your shoes into the Dojo, place in designated spot and take your training area.
- After class pick up your shoes and leave through the back door
More details on How will I enter and leave the dojo?
- Students and parents/guardian must show up no later than 10min before class.
- Students and parent/guardian will meet Sensei at the front door, answer the screening questions and sanitize their hands and sign in.
- After signing in, at this stage parents/guardians will not be allowed to enter the dojo but asked to walk around the back of the dojo to view. The big garage door will be open and parents/guardian can view class through the back door at their designated distance marker. We ask that parent/guardians wait for their child during their class (please bring your coffee/tea with you).
- Students will arrive in their uniform and not bring any bags with them.
- The change rooms will be closed.
- We will have one washroom that will be open, however we ask that students use the washroom at home before coming to class.
- Students will bring their shoes (ideally flip flops/sandals) into the dojo and place them in the designated area.
- Students will be directed to their designated training area by Sensei
- After class students will be dismissed one at a time, collect their shoes and leave through the back door where their parent/guardian is waiting.
COVID 19 Rules
- Please do not come to the Dojo if you are feeling unwell in any way.
- If you have any of the following please do not come to the Dojo, fever, cough, runny nose, difficulty breathing, sore throat trouble swallowing, loss of taste or smell, not feeling well, nausea vomiting diarrhea.
- Please do not come to the Dojo if you have come into contact with someone who is sick or have been confirmed to have COVID 19 in the past 14 days.
- Please do not come to the Dojo if you have been out of the country in the last 14 days.
- If you come to the dojo and are unwell you will not be allowed to enter the dojo.
How will grading work?
- We will designate a full week for grading, where all gradings will take place during class time.
How will I renew my membership
- When it becomes time to renew your membership you can e-transfer your fee to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will still offer using our debit machine or cheques. Please ensure your email is update to date and sent to us at email@example.com
I do not have an ICKF membership but want to join, how do I book a trial class?
- Download our pdf waiver form.
- Parent/guardian must fill out and sign, children’s information up top and parents print and sign their name at the bottom.
- Book your class online.
- Bring waiver form with you.
- Follow entrance and exit guidelines.